Dusty's Mission

Monday, September 22, 2008

Dusty's Email -- 9/22/2008

yo yo

So yes another week has passed. We did a lot of work this last week but didn’t really see any of the benefits. like I said before we were suppose to have 5 baptisms this last Sunday. But only one of the investigators showed for church. One of them, her name is Juana decided that she wanted to be baptized in December, but we told her that when that time came, just like the last time, she would push it off. So we lost her, because she wouldn’t change her mind. Another named Miguel had promised us on Friday and Thursday he would be at church. Both his mother in law and wife are members, but he didn’t show up because he was too tired. So we had to push his date to the first in October.

There are another three that we are teaching, a mom, her son and the mom’s sister. They are all adults. They had committed to live the Word of Wisdom and needed to attend church this Sunday and then could be baptized the following. We called them at 10 o’clock in the morning, to make sure that they were coming to church. They answered and said yeah, of course we’ll be there. They lied. We left after my talk in sacrament meeting and went to their house, and only the son was there and he got ready and came to church. We are going to talk to them tomorrow and see what’s up and see if they truly want to be baptized, so yesterday was a little discouraging.

We taught 31 lessons this last week and had 11 new investigators. But only 4 investigators showed up for church. After we ate yesterday my companion and I were changing from our suits and my companion asked what we’re doing wrong, if there was something wrong with us. So we prayed about it and just went to work last night. We’ll just continue to work this week and try to find some others that need the Gospel. We were real excited for church yesterday, and it was kinda a letdown. All these people that need the Gospel and the blessings decided that it wasn’t that important. We are thinking of our gameplan when we talk to them tomorrow.

So yes as you read, I gave a 7 minute talk in Spanish yesterday. It went great I felt and a lot of people said that my Spanish was great and they understood all of it. Which was the point, I fasted and prayed going into Sunday so that I would have success. The bishop had asked me the night before if I could give a talk and of course I agreed, because, come on, you can’t turn the bishop down.

But this last week I understood almost everything and was able to communicate real well with everyone, and so I feel like I can really be of use now that I know what the conversation is about. The Lord has certainly blest me with the gift of tongues.

Today we had to go to the Office of Migration. It was about a 2 hour trip. We took a bus to the metro and rode the metro for almost an hour. Then took a taxi to the office and then did it all over again to return. We had to be there at 9 so yeah we left at about 7 for the metro. The metro in the mornings and at night are insane, because everyone is trying to get on them, and so the doors open and hundreds of people shove their way into the metro. It can be a little dangerous… haha, but it’s fun. I’m sure you’ve seen on utube or on tv the trams in Japan and Mexico with all the people trying to get in. Then there is no space at all, everyone is shoulder to shoulder crammed in. Haha, its really hot and smells funny. But it’s a good experience. haha.

We went with the other elders in my district who needed to go also. So Elder Tanner(the elder that was in my district from the MTC who is also from Gilbert) was there and we got to talk. I enjoy getting together for district meeting because he’s there and we get along great. But also all the Elders from my district from the MTC had to go there today. Most of them are in the zones furthest away so they reported around 10. We didn’t see any of them. When we were in the metro about to get on to return when we saw Elder Miller (my comp in the MTC) and of course Elder Tanner and I and Elder Miller all ran at each other and hugged and talked for a couple minutes before we had to leave. Then we were waiting for the next metro to come when the one across from us dropped off some people and then left and we saw Elder Snook(Elder Tanners companion in the MTC) we couldn’t go talk to him because he was all the way across the way. But we yelled that we loved each other and then our metro pulled up. The only person that I didn’t see was my other comp in the MTC Elder Christansean. But I’ll see them in November.

 I hope that all is well. the weather is wonderful here and things are great. were going to go look for soccer jerseys right now so take care.

 

Adios

Elder Howard

 

No comments: