Dusty's Mission

Monday, September 1, 2008

Dusty's Email -- 9/1/2008

Hey que tal!!!

Ok first off, I don’t have an address, you can send a package and stuff to the Mission Home address, but I'll only get them when I have a transfer!!!
Yes, my companion is a native and doesn’t know any English so its kinda tough but it’s nice because I'm doing everything in Spanish! We live in this little apartment, it’s just a front room with a sink and 2 desks and a fridge, then there is the room with 2 beds and a bathroom. To get the heat to work we have to turn on the gas and light it. it’s pretty sweet!!!
Saturday I met my companion and we went to teach some lessons but the people weren’t there so we got to contact people and it’s really hard because they speak extremely fast. ha-ha, but I love it. Church on Sunday was awesome, I didn’t really understand a lot but I was asked to bear my testimony in Sacrament meeting. I was nervous but it all worked out. After church you'll never guess what I did?????? I baptized a 14 year old kid. It was awesome and I was really nervous but it was so, so, so cool.
We've eaten pretty good here. Here in Mexico, the meal that people feed the missionaries is lunch. You have a huge lunch and then maybe something to eat later. SO yesterday and today we didn’t eat till then, but they gave us so much food......it was so, so good, I don’t know what I ate today, some kind of animal, but it was good. All the food that I've had the last couple days here is awesome.
I'm so happy that Mom got me that camel pack, everyone wants one know. it’s a great idea. It’s so awesome. The church is the only place that has clean water, except for the bottled water at Walmart, so I just fill my pack up each day at the church. It’s all good.
Oh and funny story. Yesterday, after the baptism we returned to the apartment before our eating appointment and I changed my shirt and dropped of my wet stuff. We were with another companionship and my companion forgot the keys in the house. We had no extra key the owner doesn’t live there. So we spent last night at the other companionships house, it wasn’t very comfy, but it’s just another day. We got up this morning and tried to find the owner at his other job at the market but he wasn’t there. So we went all the way across our area thinking that we left them at the eating appt the previous day. But no.
Finally, we came back to the market and found this guy that makes keys, and he actually busted into our house, and low and behold, the keys were there, on the desk. Bueno!!!
I hope that Lynette’s baby comes here soon. So that she can be comfortable again. I'm glad you guys got my tape, I'm not sure but I don’t think that I can receive mail, like I said I don’t really have an address, so this is how I'll be communicating for awhile. My Mission President said that I can only email with family, so I want to hear from everyone and how there doing but I can’t email back. Letters only, when I get that option. sorry!! That’s how Tanner can get a hold of me. I hope all is well, I'm still trying to get any kind of hold on the language that I can, but it’s really difficult.
The area that I'm in is really cool. it’s really, really ghetto. There is graffiti everywhere. We ride in buses, vans and taxis to get to anyplace. It’s really insane because there are no traffic laws here, only speed bumps to slow everyone down. There are people trying to cross the street and cars, buses, vans and taxis are just flying around everywhere. it’s insane. The police don’t do anything about traffic things. The area is really run down but the people are so humble and they work extremely hard for all that they have.
Elder Tanner is in my district, the one that is from Arizona and was in my district in the MTC, we played soccer earlier with the other Elders. There are 8 of us, 4 companionships, not in the same area, but we all go to the same building, and our areas our big with a lot of people.
Mexico City is so much different than America. It’s really crazy!! But it’s really cool to see the culture. They do this thing called the ‘brazo’. I'll show you when I get home but it’s pretty sweet.
Not much else. We have an appt this evening so we need to go clean our apt. and prepare it for the next week. There are some crazy people here, but there are all really nice and kind and patient while I try and get through my Spanish. The city that I'm in has a really long name, I don’t even know how to spell it, it’s like neohualcoyotl, that’s not right but its close enough. We're in a little internet cafe here. Tt’s cool but there are a ton of people.
I'm so happy to be serving here and to be learning this language, but especially to be serving the Lord. This is a lot of work, but it’s worth it. It was so cool to baptize someone yesterday and I look forward to the opportunity to baptize someone that I've helped through all the steps.
thanks for the scripture and the advice, I know that everything will work out for us and that the Lord will bless us.
Never forget the words in Master the Tempest is Raging "the wind and the waves shall obey thy will peace be still" the Lord is in command of everything and if He wanted it to be easy, He could make is that way, but He doesn’t because we need to learn and gain experience.

Love you all and wish you a great week
Elder Howard


JH

No comments: